Like the DROID X update before it, this new DROID 2 Global update is of the bug fixing variety. It's not huge and it's not Ice Cream Sandwich, but this update does pack in a handful of nice improvements, and we're glad to see Motorola and Verizon continue to show the aging D2G some TLC. There's no word yet on exactly when the DROID 2 Global's update will begin rolling out, as Verizon only says that it's "coming soon." If you've got the device handy and want to check for 4.5.629 manually, though, you can do that by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates. Don't forget to give us a shout in the comments below if you're able to pull an update from the sky.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- A Google Security Patch has been added to improve security level.
- Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
- Adjusted camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered down.
- Resolved possible device resets while playing music.
- Reduced Out of Memory errors.
- Email, Messaging & Data
- Improved ability to access and receive Gmail messages when the Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
- Addressed error that replicated thumbnails in message threads.
- Applications & Widgets
- WAV files can be played from Visual Voice Mail.
- Purchased ringtones are now able to be downloaded, saved and used where appropriate.